Kids Kitchen Step Stool Helper - Learning Toddler Tower
- FREEDOM IN THE KITCHEN - Encourage your child to learn, interact and assist you making dinner while standing on their own toddler kitchen stool. Kids love feeling like they are part of the action when at counter-height. And, it is helpful all over the house, for instance it can make teeth brushing time in the bathroom a breeze.
- MADE FROM SOLID HARDWOOD – Our kids kitchen stool will look great in any kitchen. It has a modern compact design with a removable back safety rail and the hardwood makes it rock-solid sturdy.
- ADJUSTABLE HEIGHT - Don’t worry about your toddler outgrowing the stool with an adjustable platform step that can be set to 2 optimum heights to accommodate all kids. Even at the high setting the toddler stool is still an easy step up for the young ones.
- THE FINE DETAILS - Rounded-over edges for style and comfort, countersunk screws and anti-slip treads and feet pads are included for additional piece of mind. Plus, it’s been tested and certified to comply with all applicable children's product safety rules.
- SAFE AND DURABLE - Made from 100% real hardwood with a non-toxic and lead-free finish that has been independently tested to exceed all child safety standards. And, backed by a company that stands behind all of its products.
- 2-YEAR WARRANTY
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED - If you are not completely satisfied with your Kids Kitchen Stool, send it back with free returns for a full refund.
- Learn more about kids in the kitchen.
- Learn about all types of Montessori furniture.
- Watch a how-to-assemble video.
The Kids Kitchen Stool by KATANABANA can be used to embolden your child to learn, interact and help around the house. Use the stool to give your child a boost up to the counter or table for arts and crafts, fun projects, eating a snack, helping make dinner, baking cookies, washing hands, brushing their teeth and getting ready for bed. You name it, the stool comes in handy for anything around the house. It's the ideal partner for toddlers.
Prefer to shop on Amazon? Buy this item here:
What Montessori activities can your child do as a kitchen helper?
Preparing food is an essential part of the Montessori lifestyle at home. It plays a major role in helping your little one build confidence and independence while also contributing to developing their organizational skills at the same time.
While we’ve talked a lot about how to make cooking fun for your child in a different post, this article will focus on some of the best activities your child can do as your kitchen helper. It will also feature lots of easy recipes to help you get started.
Tips for introducing your child to the kitchen
Before you introduce your child to the kitchen, keep in mind that each child is unique and approaches may vary, but if you keep things simple and consider following the tips suggested below, you will have a fun experience.
- Get your toddler a learning tower or kids kitchen stool
One of the things you will want to invest in when introducing your little one to the kitchen is a Montessori kitchen stool that they can stand on to see and follow what is happening on the kitchen counter. You can opt to go for a learning tower, step ladder, or a fun pod depending on your preferences.
- Pick out recipes together
Start with simple and short recipes that your little one can read and/or follow with ease. This allows the child to practice their reading skills and improve their concentration levels. When they successfully read and follow the provided instructions, they get a sense of achievement and subsequently build their self-esteem. If you have older children, allow them to find a recipe that they like and prepare the food together.
- Set clear rules
It is important to set clear rules before you introduce your little one to the kitchen. Make them aware of the safety precautions that they need to keep in mind to reduce the risk of injury. Show them the knives that they can use, and demonstrate to them how to do it. To make it even easier, set up a small station for them in the kitchen that includes all the tools that they can use. Ensure that you keep a close eye on what they do, but leave some room for mistakes – after all, it’s about learning and having fun rather than making a perfect meal.
- Take them grocery shopping
Remember to involve your child in the grocery shopping process. Compile the shopping list together, show them how to choose healthy foods, and if they are older, show them how to read the nutrition labels. This is important in helping them to make conscious health decisions with their food in the future.
- Show your little ones how to use basic kitchen appliances
To help build your child’s confidence in the kitchen, you will want to show them how to use basic kitchen appliances and tools. Demonstrate how to use toast their bread in the morning, and let them heat or thaw their food in the microwave. With time, you can allow them to complete these tasks completely on their own.
- Be patient
Letting your children help out in the kitchen requires a lot of patience. There will be spills, the occasional tantrum, and the meals you prepare will be less than perfect, but this is all part of honing your child’s skills and encouraging their independence.
Montessori kid-friendly cooking activities by age
Below are some ideas on how to involve your kids in the kitchen, regardless of their age:
Under 1 year old
- Allow your little one to watch, touch, smell, and taste what you are preparing. You can also talk them through the process
- Have your child at countertop height (in a high chair or baby carrier) so that they can see what you're doing
1-2 years old
- Kneading dough
- Peel and slice fruit
- Spreading toast or crackers
- Pouring their drinking water
- Spread toast or crackers
- Helping to add and mix ingredients
- Helping to get the things you need out of the cupboards (for this to work, remember to move the items down low so that they are reachable)
2-3 years old
- Grating cheese
- Preparing their cereal for breakfast – leave a scoop for your child in the cereal box and have some milk in a small jug.
- Peeling and slicing apples, eggs, and vegetables (under supervision especially if they are using a sharp tool)
- Squeezing orange juice
- Tearing lettuce to prepare salad
- Peeling garlic and onions
- Using a hand whisk
- Using kitchen appliances under your supervision
- Follow basic recipes with you
- Measuring ingredients
Easy recipe ideas to make with kids
- Taco in a bag
This is a fun recipe that is easy to make even for young kids. You may need to help them out when it comes to draining the ground beef and cooking it, but the rest of it – breaking up the tortilla chips and layering the lettuce, cheese, tomato, salsa, and sour cream – is easy to pull off.
- Oatmeal pancakes
For this delicious meal, let your kids start by whipping together the batter (flour, eggs, salt, milk, butter). You can also show them how to use the food processor to make a smooth pancake mix. Let them choose the toppings to make the experience even more fun.
- Easy guacamole
Lend a helping hand when it comes to chopping the tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, and avocadoes needed to prepare guacamole. Show them how to squeeze the lemon or lime to get the most juice, and let them have a go at mashing everything together.
- Peanut butter banana smoothie
This recipe idea requires no cutting, so all your kids will have to do is scoop peanut butter and break bananas into smaller chunks. They can then help you add ice, honey, and milk before blending.
Letting your child help out with simple tasks in the kitchen – like collecting ingredients, measuring and adding various ingredients to the food, washing vegetables and fruits, and cleaning afterward – is a great way to not only bond with them but also foster crucial life skills and build independence.
There are a lot of kid-friendly cooking activities you can do together and many simple recipes you can follow. This quick guide has outlined some of the best ones you can start with. Try them out next time you’re in the kitchen with your little one!
Prefer to shop on Amazon? Buy this item here: